Key Stage 3
In years 7 and 8 students receive 6 lessons per fortnight, usually with 1 or 2 teachers. Each topic lasts about a half term and a test takes place at the end of each unit. The topics are studied on a rotation to enable access to specialised equipment. In addition, students learn how to carry out investigations and practical work safely.
The topics students learn about in year 7 are:
• 7A Life and living processes – using Microscopes to look at cells, cells and living processes such as reproduction, digestion, blood circulation and respiration.
• 7B Energy – energy chains, renewable and non-renewable fuels, explaining electrical circuits and heat energy transfer
• 7C Particles and Materials – learning to be safe in the lab, combustion, chemical changes and separation techniques
• 7D Interdependence – classification, photosynthesis, food chains, variation and adaptation
• 7E Forces – forces, speed, friction, magnetism and the solar system
• 7F Drugs – a smaller unit, students learn about the types of drugs, including alcohol and smoking and the dangers of drugs.
The topics students learn about in year 8 are:
• 8A Life and living processes 2 – Our senses, nervous system, how we behave, natural selection and evolution
• 8B Energy 2 – sound, our ears and ultrasound, light, colours and our eyes
• 8C Particles and materials 2 - the Periodic table and elements, compounds and mixtures, the reactions of metals and salts
• 8D Interdependence 2 – pollution, biodiversity, disease and microbes
• 8E Forces 2 - pressure, water and atmospheric pressure, moments, distance –time graphs and exploring space
• 8F Geology – different types of rocks, weathering and erosion and the rock cycle.
Parental advice - Students are encouraged to ensure they learn the key knowledge required as they go through a topic and it is difficult to ensure progress without doing this. Revision guides are available from the Science Prep Room for £2.50. Encourage students to produce mind-maps or flash cards and help them to develop the skills to learn independently.