Why study GCSE Business Studies?
The specification is designed to encourage candidates to consider the practical application of business and economic concepts. GCSE Business Studies provides progression for those wishing to continue their studies to A level Business and A level Economics.
The course commences in Year 9 and continues to the end of Year 11, Business Studies is allocated five hours over a two week period.
Students in year 9 study 2 units;
Business in the Real world including
- Business ownership (whether to start as a sole trader, partnership or limited company
- Setting business aims and objectives
- Business relationships with different stakeholder groups
- How businesses choose their location
- How entrepreneurs expand their business
Human Resources including
- How to structure an organisation
- Recruiting and selecting employees
- Motivating employess
Students in year 10 study 2 units;
Influences on business including
- Impact of technology on business
- Business ethics and environmental initiatives
- How the economic climate affects business
- How businesses compete
Business Operations including
- The production process
- The role of procurement
- The concept of quality
- Providing good customer service
From 2018-19 onwards students in year 11 will study
- Marketing including
- Identifying and understanding customers
- Market segmentation
- Methods of market research
- Elements of the marketing mix (product, price, promotion and distribution)
- Sources of finance
- Cash flow
- Financial terms and calculations
- Analysing the financial performance of a business
Students in Year 11 in 2017-18 only study
Unit 3 – Investigating Businesses
This unit is a controlled assessment unit. The work must be each candidate’s own individual response and must be produced under controlled conditions.
- All controlled assessment tasks will be set by AQA.
- Tasks will be replaced each year and will only be available for one assessment opportunity.
- AQA will provide centres with pre-released material which will require students to undertake a business investigation.
- This unit is worth 40 marks – 25% of the final GCSE grade